Penilee is a housing scheme on the south side of the city of Glasgow. Penilee became part of Glasgow as part of the boundary expansion in 1938. Until then it was mainly farmland between Hillington and Cardonald areas of the city and was part of Renfrewshire.
The current Penilee housing scheme was all built during the second world war to be housing for the many workers in Rolls Royce and other armaments factories in neighbouring Hillington estate. During the war most housing development was stopped but the building of the houses in Penilee continued to provide the very necessary accomodation near to the factories building aircraft engines and munitions.